If you’ve ever had sciatica you know how painful and uncomfortable it can be.
From shooting pain in the buttocks to running pain down the leg, it occurs when the sciatic nerve is pinched or compressed.
Sciatica can affect anyone, but most commonly occurs due to a bulging disc, narrowing of the spinal cord space (spinal stenosis) or pressure on the sciatic nerve.
Some of the best things you can do to relieve sciatic pain include;
- Adding in stretches and functional movements like squatting, sit to stand and activating the glutes and core.
- Using a heat pack on and around the lower back and glutes to ease tightness.
- Massage and release techniques by a qualified professional.
- Gentle massage release with a massage ball of the lower back and glutes.
- Gentle exercise like Pilates with a focus on good movement patterns and form.
- Include daily exercise that focuses on a mix of strength and flexibility.
- Take regular breaks to move around if sitting for long periods of time.
- Ensure your desk and computer are set up ergonomically.
Looking for some Sciatica relief?
Include these 5 stretches in to your daily routine to help reduce pain and improve mobility.
- Figure 4 Glute Stretch